March 23, 2011

Remember the Aldi Price List?


I was going through some of my files and I came across my price book from 1996.  I opened it up and this fell out.  Does anyone remember when Aldi printed a weekly price list?  I loved it because you could carry it with you to compare prices at other stores.  It was a great help.



Do I dare tell you what some of the prices were at Aldi in 1996?  It will make you cry. 

48 oz. of Vegetable Oil - $1.59
2 lbs. of Brown or Powdered Sugar - 79 cents
5 lbs. of All Purpose Flour - 79 cents
8 count Hamburger or Hot Dog Buns - 39 cents
6 ounce can of tomato paste - 29 cents
16 oz of Shredded Cheddar or Mozzarella Cheese - $1.99



We'll take a trip down memory lane each week, when I post some more of those 1996 prices.  Can you imagine how low our food budgets would be if we could time travel to an Aldi store in 1996?  Alright by me as long as I don't have to wear the jeans that were in style then.

How I wish they would resume this practice of printing a price list.  If I were able to compare prices, I would then be able to determine if a once every 6 week drive to the next town that has an Aldi would be worth it for stocking up purposes. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I need me a "Way Back Machine" !

I remember in 1972, I was in Bible college in Tulsa (not ORU), and was sitting out on the balcony of my apartment watching the attendant at the Terrible Herbst gas station across the street changing the gas price to 17 cents a gallon and wondering where it would end. Still wondering!

Sharon said...

I remember hot dog buns being .39! Wow, now I pay close to $3.00 for potato hotdog rolls. Ugh.