March 18, 2011

Is a Coffee Maker a Necessity?

Yes!  At least it is in our household.

I bought a new coffee maker in December 2009.  I posted about that purchase here.

Yesterday morning, it broke.  It won't heat up at all, the burner is stone cold.  We have unplugged it and left it unplugged for a while and tried plugging it in.  I paid $49.99 for that coffeemaker and chose the Mr. Coffee brand as our previous model had lasted 10 years.  Well, I guess they made better coffeemakers back in the 1990's. 

In our reading of the Tightwad Gazette, Amy outlined some items in a grocery budget that are not necessary and one was soda.  Other non essentials were coffee and tea, neither of which they were willing to give up.  Obviously like them, we enjoy our hot beverages also.

I went to Wal-mart and was able to purchase a cheapy Rival Coffeemaker on clearance for $11.  It has the pause n serve feature, it is programmable, and it turns off if left on.  These are the same features as the expensive model that just broke.

From now on, no more expensive and looks pretty coffeemakers for me.  I'll buy the cheapies.

2 comments:

Milehimama @ Mama Says said...

I got sick of buying new coffee makers every couple of years. When my last Mr. Coffee broke I bought a french press for less than $20. Love it!

Plus I never have to worry if I left it on, and it has 'pause n serve' and
'auto off' built right in, LOL. I do use an electric kettle to boil the water for it, but my french press actually makes a pot of coffee faster than my auto-drip maker (my kettle will boil 2 quarts of water in under 5 minutes!)

Maureen said...

My coffee tastes are simple I prefer instant !! So no expensive coffee machines for me, just a mug and a kettle.