March 05, 2011

Latest Grocery Deal and an Easy Volunteer Job

Yesterday the local Hy-Vee Grocery store had an instore sale of ziploc bags for 77 cents.  These ranged in size from the 30 quart sized bags to 24 gallon sized bags in the boxes.  Well I had 4 - 50 cent coupons, so even though I have a lot of these bags, I decided 27 cents per box was definitely worth it.  I bought 4 boxes.  I also had 1 coupon for $1.50 off two ziploc containers.  Hy-Vee had 8 oz. round containers, 6 containers per pkg., for 99 cents.  So I bought two for a final price of 22 cents for each pkg. 

I purchased 6 ziploc products for $1.52.  That was a great deal, but as they say "wait there is more." 

I picked up a few other sale items and when I checked out, I received 3 catalinas from my purchase of the ziploc products.  For purchasing the 4 ziploc bags, I received two - $2.00 catalinas towards my next shopping trip at Hy-Vee and I also received, for purchasing the ziploc containers, a $1.50 catalina towards my next shopping trip at Hy-Vee.  I spent $1.52 and received $5.50 in catalinas for my next shopping trip at Hy-Vee.   I giggled all the way out of the store. 



Now for an Easy Volunteer Job.  I was at a meeting at our church where someone announced that for our Hispanic Service on Sundays they needed cookies, coffee and koolaid for their fellowship time.  This is a small service of 10 to 15 people per Sunday.  I volunteered.  I went home and took a  large canister of coffee from my coffee supply and a container of lemonade mix. I purchased that lemonade mix in the fall for about 50 cents and although I knew that I wouldn't be using it, I set it aside in case I could donate it.

Now I am baking an extra 2 dozen cookies from what I normally bake each week.  I put them in the freezer and when I go to church on Sundays, I put them in the chapel where they hold the hispanic service. 

This was a real need and it was an easy volunteer job for me to do.  Many times churches have small things they need done that even the busiest of people can take on.  In this example, I don't have to bake cookies every week, but I could easily pick up some store bought cookies.  It's just one of those small volunteer responsibilities that I can do to make a difference at my church.  Also, the canister of coffee and koolaid will last a long time for that small service and since I use coupons and buy things on sale, I can get the best deals.

So if you want to volunteer, but don't have a lot of time, ask around your church or other volunteer organization and you may find out that there is some small job they need someone to do, that you could take on.    

No comments: