December 09, 2010

Dinner Tonight - December 9th

On Tuesday I had to purchase seven - 8 count packages of hamburger buns for my son's school.  They were having a concession stand during a debate contest.  Well they only used 3 1/2 of the packages.  I gave two packages to my son and his wife.

I am freeing up my freezer space so that I can bake some honey wheat bread to freeze.  This means I need to use up these hamburger buns.  So, tonight we are having sloppy joes, oven browned potatoes, green beans and home canned chunky applesauce. 

Here is my recipe for Sloppy Joes:

1 lb. ground beef
3/4 cup finely chopped onion (I use onion powder as my youngest son does not like cooked onions.)
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
1/2 cup chili sauce (I have used regular ketchup when I am out of chili sauce)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 tablespoon prepared mustarad
1 - 8 ounce can tomato sauce
6 Hamburger Buns

In a large skillet, cook and stir the ground beef and onion until beef is brown; drain.  Add garlic salt, chili sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard and tomato sauce.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat.  Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. 

This recipe can be frozen and I often make a double batch so that I can have 1 recipe of this in the freezer.  This is a very good sloppy joe recipe and it is our favorite.

No comments: