December 31, 2010

Dinner Tonight - December 31st

Tonight we had homemade vegetable beef soup with grilled cheese sandwiches.  My son loves this meal so I made him, and my husband happy. 

I keep a leftover container in my fridge and it was full of leftover canned vegetable juices, vegetables, broth and some pieces of beef from a pot roast.  I added 2 cans of beef broth plus about 1/2 lb. of browned hamburger to that frozen concoction of leftovers, added 3 bay leaves and I let it simmer for an hour or so on the stove.  It was perfect and tastey.  It always comes out great.  I can't believe that since I have been doing this, I have never had a bad pot of soup. 

It is really getting cold here and the wind chills are below zero.  A nice hot homemade soup was perfect for a New Year Eve's meal.

Happy New Year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I need to save the broth from my next pot roast for soup! I always forget, and since I only eat organic meat (food allergies) I can't use "regular" prepared broth. Soup looks wonderful, yum!