December 01, 2010

Dinner Tonight - December 1st

At lunch today my husband told me he would like breakfast for supper.  Wednesday evenings seem like a perfect night for a breakfast type dinner as our son goes to the youth group at church and he eats there.  My DH wants blueberry pancakes but I want cornmeal waffles.  I'm not sure who will win out but I do believe the scales are in his favor today.  I'm feeling generous.  Scrambled eggs and bacon are in order along with some grapefruit.

If I were going to make cornmeal waffles, and you can just tell that I really want to, I would use this recipe.  These waffles are light and airy and taste very, very good.  Oohhh - I am so tempted, but no, I will make the pancakes.

Cornmeal Waffles

1 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Sift the flour, baking powder, soda, sugar and salt together.  (I put these ingredients in a bowl and stir them up with a wire whisk as a shortcut.)  Stir in the cornmeal.  Mix the eggs with the buttermilk and vegetable oil.  Stir into the dry ingredients.  Pour into a waffle iron and cook til done (or in my case when the light says "ready").  I have put blueberries in the batter for a variation before and it was very good.

I have never tried these using sour milk in place of the buttermilk and since I don't have buttermilk on hand and it is very, very cold outside (1 degree with the wind chill), I will not be going to a store to pick some up.  It looks like the blueberry pancakes will win out.   Although I am tempted to make half a batch using sour milk just to see.......

2 comments:

Maureen said...

No I am not going to make them, but I am allowed to drool. they look scrumptious.

Stacy said...

I love cornmeal pancakes. Love, love, love. I vote cornmeal :)