November 15, 2010

Dinner Tonight - November 15, 2010

Last night was leftover night.  I asked my husband last night what he would like to have for supper tonight.  He said "hamburgers!"  My husband is very easy to please and he likes simple meals.  There are days when I do cook elaborate meals but as a rule, I don't need to do this to please him. 

So tonight I will take a teaspoon of butter and melt it in a skillet, add some sliced onions to cook until they carmelize.  Then I will take those onions out of the skillet and set them aside and add a tablespoon of worcestershire sauce to the skillet and that is what I will cook the hamburger patties in.  The onions will go on top of the hamburger patties. 

I made a batch of homemade hamburger buns this afternoon.  Along with the hamburgers I will served baked beans and a simple fruit salad (fruit cocktail with added mandarin oranges).

I made some cornflake bars this afternoon.  Take 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of light corn syrup and bring it to a boil.  Then turn off the heat and add 1 cup of peanut butter.  Pour this mixture over 6 to 8 cups (more or less) of cornflakes and pour into a greased 9 x 13 inch pan.  You can top these with melted chocolate, but they are perfect just the way they are.

I always have several meals that I can make from what I have on hand and I have found that asking my family the night before if they have any requests gives me plenty of time to thaw out any meat.  Tomorrow I will need to head to the store to pick up some milk and some produce. 

Even though I have budgeted a certain amount of money each week for produce and dairy items, I will make sure to post each week what I am actually spending and what I have purchased. 

No comments: