January 17, 2010

Menus for the week of January 11th

As part of the pantry challenge I am posting what we had to eat the previous week.  Last week was a rough week for me as I wasn't feeling well and I was glad that I did have some things in the freezer to use up.

Monday - We had my dad's favorite meal.  We call it "Dad's Meatballs and Gravey."  It is basically a meatloaf mixture but you use seasoned stuffing mix (such as Pepperidge Farm) for the bread in the meat mixture.  The sauce is a mixture of mushroom soup and onion soup mix.  I had both on hand but if I didn't I can whip up a homemade version of it.  Of course with something like this you have to have mashed potatoes, green beans and a salad.  I also made some cuban bread to go with the meal.

Tuesday - Leftovers.  My DS didn't mind the leftovers as he loved what we had to eat on Monday.

Wednesday - Thankfully since I had been to the doctor that day I was able to pull out a casserole from the freezer - Chicken Dumpling casserole that we had with a tossed salad and fresh pineapple.  I love casseroles that combine a meat, vegetable and bread in the same recipe. 

Thursday - A humble homemade pizza and tossed salad.

Friday - Our DS was out of town at a Debate tournament so my DH and I dined on leftovers. 

As to what we eat on the weekends:  Saturdays are usually leftovers or sandwiches and today for lunch we had Pork Burgers on homemade buns.  Pork burgers are simply unseasoned ground pork cooked like hamburgers and it is a big deal here in Iowa.  We also had baked beans and I had some tater tots in the freezer that I needed to use up.  For supper tonight it will probably be breakfast with eggs or waffles or whatever sounds good to everyone.  I have bacon and sausage in the freezer that I can pull out.

Again breakfast is either bagels, cereal or toast.  Lunches are leftovers, sandwiches, soups or salads.  Our DS eats at school.

I have been on an antibiotic this week and I am tired so we opted for simple meals (except for Monday when I was feeling great). 

No comments: