August 02, 2010

Making My Favorite Preserves

Peach Pineapple Conserve

Yesterday I made my absolute favorite preserve, actually it is called Peach-Pineapple conserve and I have no idea why it is called conserve and not preserve.  Perhaps someone can tell me the difference some day.

I am about the only one in our family that likes it so I am making it only for me and for some gifts.  I love orange marmalade and I love peaches and pineapple.  This preserve is the best of both worlds and is very easy to make. 

Peach Pineapple Conserve

2 1/2 cups chopped fresh peaches
1 cup canned pineapple chunks, cut up (I have substituted 1 cup crushed pineapple that has been well drained with equal results)
2 cups sugar
Juice and rind of 1 orange

Heat water in a canner to boiling.  Wash the peaches.  Dip each peach in hot water in order to easily remove the peels.  Yes, I use the water that is boiling in the canner.  Chop the peaches to measure 2 1/2 cups.  Mix peaches, pineapple and sugar; add grated orange rind and juice.  Slowly bring to a boil, stirring occasionally until sugar dissolves; cook rapidly until thick and clear; about 20 minutes, stirring frequently.  Pour boiling hot into sterilized jars and seal.  Place in canner and process for 5 minutes.  Remove and make sure the jars seal.

This yields approximately 4 - 8 oz. jars of preserves.

I have never found anything like this in a store.  Peaches are super cheap now and I always have pineapple in my pantry.  This recipe is fairly cheap to make.  You don't need any pectin to add to it which also keeps the expense down.

I have given jars of these preserves as Christmas gifts and everyone is always surprised by the flavor of this preserve. 

1 comment:

Maureen said...

Sounds absolutely delicious, all my favourite kinds of fruit, but peaches are not in season right now in Oz. So I,ll keep this recipe until Summer.