July 22, 2010

This and That and a recipe too


I love when produce is in season.  Today I went to the grocery store and purchased ripe cantaloupe, plums, blueberries, tomatoes and lettuce.  For lunch we dined on BLT's and cut up cantaloupes with blueberries.  Nothing beats the taste of fruits and vegetables in season.  I purchased some of the heat and eat bacon which was on sale.  In fact when I bought two packages on sale I was given $1.00 off produce.  You don't get a lot of bacon by weight, but it was enough for four sandwiches.  Also 4 slices of bacon was only 70 calories.

But the biggest deal I received was on Finish Gel Tabs for the dishwasher.  Ever since the $2.50 coupon came out in a Sunday paper a few weeks ago, I had been waiting for a sale.  Well it never went on sale and with the coupon expiring on July 25th I started pricing it whenever I went into a store to find the best deal.  Today I went to the Hy-Vee grocery store to pick up a few things and I couldn't believe it.  They had an instore special for Finish 32 count Gel Tabs for $3.69.  I had two coupons so I was able to get each box of 32 count gel tabs for $1.19 each.

Now for my favorite Hot Fudge Sauce recipe.  I started out with the merits of eating fresh fruits and vegetables but it is summer time and to me summer means ice cream with hot fudge sauce, in moderation of course.  I saw a few years ago at a gourmet food store they had what they called "spoonable fudge."  In my opinion, you could do the same thing with this.  Make some and stick it in the fridge and have a spoonful every now and then.  This sauce does not get hard in the fridge.

1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup butter
2 cups confectioners sugar
1 1/4 cups evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt

In a large saucepan, combine the chocolate chips and butter.  Cook and stir over low heat until melted.  Gradually mix in the sugar and milk.  Increase heat to a boil.  Cook, stirring constantly for 4 minutes.  During this time the sauce will thicken.  Remove from heat and then stir in vanilla and salt. Serve warm.  Store in fridge.

2 comments:

Stacy said...

We used those same coupons! Your store had a much better price, though!

Martha said...

I can't believe more people weren't buying those Gel Tabs even without the coupon. As I recall you have enough dishwasher detergent to last over a year. I enjoyed that post as I have never "bought" coupons online before. That will be my next step.

Martha