July 19, 2010

$150 Challenge Update


I will give my total results at the end of this month, but so far we are doing great on this challenge.  Putting it in writing on this blog has helped me to stay on track.  One example is that while on vacation I only spent $8 on myself.  My DH didn't spend anything on himself.  We normally would pick up books at museums and such to read later, but both of us just browsed and walked on.  We were having a lot of fun with our DS and I think we just didn't feel the need to spend money on stuff. 

I read the book "The Simple Dollar" while on vacation.  I downloaded it on my Kindle and the main thing I learned from that book was the value of relationships over stuff.  I would much rather spend time with my family creating memories than buying books.  I am surprised at how I have reduced my spending and more surprised at how I don't feel the urge to go and buy stuff. 

Also my DH and I have had several discussions this month about ways to save on expenses.  We plan to drop our land line.  It has been discussed in the past but we always felt that since it only cost us an additional $10 a month on our cable and internet package, it just wasn't worth giving up.  When we got back from vacation there wasn't one message on our land line as everyone called us on our cell phones and left messages.  Dropping the land line will be easier than we thought.

Interest rates have been low so we checked into refinancing our house but the monthly payment would only be reduced by $15 so it is not worth the expense of refinancing.  But we did talk about it and check into it.

The challenge has caused us to be more conscious about spending and about ways to save money.  In the end it was a lesson well learned. 

2 comments:

Stacy said...

I agree on the relationships over things. We began to offer the kids a birthday trip in lieu of most of their birthday gifts and they love it. They get to pick one parent and go away overnight to some fun place. The memories are wonderful and I don't have to worry about finding a place to store new toys ;)

We haven't had a landline in years. We started by switching to Magic Jack then simply didn't renew at the end of the year. I think cell phones are so common that no one thinks to call a house!

Stacy

magandangbliss said...

Another way to reduce your monthly expenses is to try having meatless days (eg 2 days a week)... the cost of protein sourced from bean-based dishes (especially if you have a pressure cooker or can cook the beans yourself vs buying cooked, canned beans) is much less than beef, chicken, and fish : )