February 19, 2011

Butter - On sale

I prefer to use butter in my baking and also on bread and toast.  The reason being, I know what is in butter.  I don't over indulge and lather butter on my bread and toast.  I use a modest amount.  So, when I find a great sale on butter I am almost giddy. 

I have a question for each of you.  The butter that I have bought recently was on sale for $1.99 for a 1 lb. package.  But it is not the butter that comes in 4 quarter sticks, but is a 1 lb. solid chunk of butter. 

Now for the question, would you buy this butter even if it meant that you would have to let it sit on the counter til it is almost soft and cut it into 1/4 lb. sticks yourself?   What about if it's expiration date was February 24th - less than 1 week away? 

I am freezing this butter and when I plan to use it, I will take it out of the freezer and let it thaw on the counter.  Then I will cut it into 4 sticks myself. 

I am willing to do this to save money.  I was in that store today and I was surprised to see a great deal of this butter still left in the cooler at the store.  I watched people pick it up and then realizing it was a 1 lb. solid and not quarter sticks, they put it back and reached for the 1 lb. package that comes in 4 sticks.  They were willing to pay $1.50 more for the butter being cut into 4 sticks.

I never thought I would look at sticks of butter as a convenience food, but I guess to many people it is. 

9 comments:

Maureen said...

We dont have sticks of butter here in Oz it always comes in one solid lump and because of our warm, no hot, weather I usually buy the spreadable straight from the fridge.
If I were in your position I would buy as much as I could afford for that price and freeze it cutting only what I needed off at a time, there is nothing worse than leaving butter to go rancid, is it possible to cut it once it is frozen ???

Lizzie @ her homeworld said...

I have never had butter that came in a stick so I think I would be happy with the lump. Cut up with a hot knife if its too big and freeze the bits you don't want immediately. Good price, well done.

Martha said...

Frozen butter when thawed is just like it was before it was frozen. There is no difference. It isn't watery and the texture is perfect. I am going to take out 1 lb. at a time and keep it in the fridge. I have purchased butter after it's expiration date and my experience has shown me that as long as it is kept cool in the fridge, it will go well beyond the expiration date. To use, I put a portion of it in my microwave on defrost for about 10 seconds and it doesn't melt it, but makes it spreadable.

I rearranged everything in my freezer above my fridge and I was able to put 20 lbs. of butter in the freezer.

I am going back to that store tomorrow to see if they have reduced the price even more since it will be closer to the expiration date.

Stacy said...

We go through a lot of butter here. I love butter :) I wouldn't think twice about a pound of butter! However, I pay less than that at a warehouse club so I'm still a sticks person. I like the idea of slicing it with a hot knife so that you don't need to thaw it. Great idea!

Martha said...

Lizzie:

I went on your blog and enjoyed reading. Thanks for your comment.

Martha

Anonymous said...

They call the 1lb boxes here bar butter(no idea why..lol) but I would definitly buy it. Infact after easter when they mark down the lamb shaped butter I stock up on them. Last year I bought like 6 and at 4th of July my uncle was like um why is the butte shaped like a lamb.

Because it was on sale..duh...

judy

Unknown said...

Coming from a former "dairy" person - we had cows, made butter etc. If you freeze the butter it will be fine. That is how I buy mine for baking purposes. When it is really cheap, I will buy quite a bit and when I get home use my electric knife or my husband which ever is handier at the time and get them to cut it into the amounts I want. Along the side of the butter package you will see 1/4 cup, 1/2 cup, 1 cup, so I cut them into a variety of sizes and that way I can use it in baking or for every day use. HOpe this helps.

Martha said...

@pammycakes - sure you can slice it first and then freeze it. I did this with a few pounds and wrapped them in plastic wrap before freezing.

kari said...

hi, i just canned my first batch of butter. i found it is very easy to do and the butter doesn't have to take up space in my freezer. this it the website i used: http://www.endtimesreport.com/canning_butter.html they say it last at least 3 years, and recently used one can that was 5 years old and it was fine! happy frugality! kari