March 10, 2010

What's for Dinner Tonight?

I thought a few times a week I would post what we are having for dinner that night.  I will probably only post the main dish.

Tonight we are having "Mock Chop Suey."

I remember when my mom was given this recipe some 45 years ago.  It was in the mid 1960's and this casserole was made by Mrs. Hall.  My mom cleaned her house every other Friday.   My dad was laid off from his job or on strike quite a bit so my mom cleaned houses to help our family.  I remember that my mom was paid $25.00 each time that she cleaned.  Back in the 1960's that was a lot of money.

We loved this casserole. It was new and kind of exotic in that it had soy sauce in it.  I don't think I had ever tasted soy sauce before.  Here is the recipe.

1 small onion, chopped
1 cup celery, diced
1 lb. ground beef
2 cups cooked rice
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup milk.

Brown the ground beef with the onion and the celery.  Drain the meat mixture and stir in the rest of the ingredients.  Pour into a casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

(I usually find celery on sale and I chop it up and freeze it in 1/2 cup portions for recipes like this one.) You can also freeze this casserole and bake it at a later date. 

It's as simple as that and everytime I bake it I remember Mrs. Hall introducing us to soy sauce and this wonderful casserole.

No comments: