March 22, 2010

Step Away from the Laptop and Nobody will get hurt


I am about to speak blasphemy to a lot of people, but I have been wondering as of late how anyone gets anything done when they are busy blogging, tweeting, updating facebook, surfing the net, e-mailing and, well you get the idea.

I am not on facebook.  I signed up for twitter but haven't used it much.  My reason?  I don't have time in my day to spend social networking with everyone.  Was that even grammatically correct?  I know, I have become a social outcast as I have elected to only blog, e-mail and surf the net. 

The biggest problem I had at my job was when we had a high school girl working there after school.  She spent the majority of her time texting, going on facebook and tweeting all her friends.  When I confronted her about it she looked at me and was indignant that I was asking her to refrain from doing so on "company" time.  To her, when her cell phone vibrated she had to respond with a text.  She could not believe that I was actually asking her to only work and refrain from "networking" with her friends during business hours. BTW - business hours for her was 3:45 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. 

I know my weaknesses.  I know that I could easily spend a few hours a day on the computer and not get anything done.  I am not saying that all of these tools are bad.  They aren't.  In fact I appreciate that I can be in contact with family members all over the country via e-mail, a family website, my blogging, or a simple text message.  I love being able to get on the internet for research.  It is very convenient.  However, I don't let these tools consume my time and take priority over what I need to get done at home. 

Yeah - I'm weird.

2 comments:

Ken said...

:-) That crazy computer guy might get worried he will have nothing to do if people don't use their stuff and break it!!

(Did that work as social networking?)

Martha said...

Oops. Don't want to contribute to a low volume of work in a computer guy's business.