February 13, 2010

Stockpiling isn't for everyone

Today I wanted to post something in addendum to yesterday's post. Yes, I have a lot of food in my freezer and pantry. Last night I sat down and started to take an inventory of my pantry. I realized that the majority of the canned goods that I have in my pantry have expiration dates into mid 2011 and 2012.

Other items such as cereal and flour and such will expire by the end of this year.

I began stockpiling 1 year ago and I got into it big time in the fall.  In the end I saved my family money by buying in bulk when items went on sale.

This is not for everyone. Since I don’t have young children at home I can shop alone at grocery stores and spend a little more time finding a good deal.  Maintaining a pantry of my size takes a little time also.

If you are thinking of starting to buy in bulk and put extra food aside in a pantry, start small and work your way up to a level that you are able to manage. It doesn’t do anyone any good if you are spending a lot of time researching sales, couponing, shopping and maintaining a pantry if you are miserable doing it.

Everyone has their level of “comfort” when it comes to any task. If I didn’t enjoy doing this, I wouldn’t spend the time doing it.

No comments: