February 20, 2010

Another snowstorm?? Time to bake cookies

Another snowstorm is predicted for tomorrow with our area of the state to get the brunt of the storm.  Okay -- enough already.  Now we are close to breaking the measurable snow fall record that goes back to 1911.  I would rather break a record in the Olympics.  Do you suppose that if you live in a State when a snowfall record is broken, that all the residents in the State get a golden snow flake award?  Someone needs to look into this.

My way of dealing with winter is to bake. My favorite thing to bake during the winter is cookies.  Yes, I love to bake cookies.  The main reason is that my family loves to have a full cookie jar.  It is pretty easy to please them.

Back in December when I was stocking up on all those good deals on baking supplies I snagged about 15 bags of Hershey's mini chocolate kisses at 99 cents a bag.  Today I used my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe and used the mini kisses instead of semi-sweet chocolate chips.  They are oh so good.

My chocolate chip cookie recipe is the standard recipe from the back of the chocolate chip bag with one variation.  The recipe calls for 2 1/4 cups of flour and I add another 1/4 cup of flour to the dough.  The result is cookies that aren't as flat and they hold their shape better.  They are still a little crunchy around the edges and soft in the middle.  Perfect.

My family prefers basic old fashioned cookies and here are their favorites.  Chocolate Chip is number one.  Then comes oatmeal, oatmeal molasses, snickerdoodles, rolled sugar cookies, peanut butter, oatmeal carmalitas and brownies. 

What is your family's favorite cookie?

1 comment:

Stacy said...

I love warm gooey chocolate chip cookies on wintry days - baking sounds like a great idea!
Stacy