June 27, 2010

Frugal Tip #2 - Clean Showers


I spent the afternoon cleaning out my basement and getting my pantry organized along with my laundry room.  We had water in a portion of our basement two weeks ago and I needed to spend some time sweeping and putting some things away.  Laundry day is tomorrow and I am almost giddy at the prospect of doing the laundry in a neat laundry room. 

One thing is true and that is to live a frugal life you must be organized.  If you are disorganized, you end up going out and buying stuff that you probably already have stashed somewhere.  I found a few things that I had been wondering where I had put them.  I'm sure it's not age catching up to me - just being in a hurry and not putting things in their proper place. 

I couldn't let the weekend end without sharing another frugal tip that I have tried and liked.

I was never comfortable with the daily shower cleaners on the market.  I didn't really want to put those kind of chemicals on my shower every day and besides it is money better spent elsewhere. 

I have a daily routine for keeping my shower mold and mildew free, especially during the warm summer months.  I am the last person to take a shower in our house each day.  After I turn off the water I take a cloth that I have hanging on a hook in the shower and I wipe the shower walls and doors down.  This doesn't dry them off, as that is not my intent, instead it wipes off any soap scum or shampoo residue that may still be on the shower. 

Then when I get out of the shower I lightly mist the shower with a bleach water solution.  I take 2 to 3 tablespoons of bleach and pour it into a spray bottle and fill the bottle with water.  I do not use a recycled spray bottle as I don't want to take a risk of mixing any bleach with leftover chemicals that may still be in a recycled spray bottle. 

As to the bleach, I watch for sales and I always buy the scented bleaches to use in my shower mist.  Then I don't have that bleach smell in my bathroom.

Lastly I leave the shower door open for the rest of the morning in order to help the shower air dry.  And that is that.  Since I have been doing this, my shower stays fresh and clean inbetween the regular days I clean the bathroom. 

I have found that this same principal can work in the toilet.  Give the toilet a quick swish with the toilet brush and then mist with the bleach spray each morning. 

For the price of an old washcloth and about 2 tablespoons of bleach I have a frugal alternative to the daily shower cleaners on the market.

No comments: