December 13, 2011

Paxil free


I have successfully weaned myself off of Paxil.  It took me around 2 months to get the job done and it was a struggle.  I still have some of the side effects of withdrawal but each day they diminish.  I went on Paxil 1 year ago when I was having trouble with OCD that got completely out of control when I was having some issues with depression. 

Why did I feel it was time go off the drug?  I was tired of the side effects of being on Paxil, namely being sleepy no matter how much sleep I got at night and the weight gain.   It took me about 4 months to make the decision to wean off of Paxil as I wanted to make sure that the depression did not return.  I also discussed this possibility with my doctor. 

Anti-depressants have their place and for me Paxil got me through a very tough spot last year.  Now I have a lot of activities going on in my life that keep me happily busy and I get out of the house more than I used to. 

If you're taking an anti-depressant and want to go off, do not do this until you talk with your doctor and get his/her input.  My doctor asked me a lot of questions and started a dialogue with me to make sure I wasn't one of those "I feel better now, so I'm going to quit taking my medication."  In my case, he agreed that if I was ready, then I could start to wean myself off.  However, he also talked with me about what I would feel in the way of side effects and that if the symptoms of OCD or depression started to return, I was to call him immediately. 

Life is good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you continue to feel well! But remember if you ever feel you need to go back on there is nothing wrong with that either

~Carla~ said...

That's wonderful, Martha!! :) Good for you!

Joanne said...

I also suffer from depression and OCD. I recently started seeing a new family practicioner who also practices natural medicine. She advised me to start taking Ashwaganda supplements and I am weaning off of cymbalta. She also tested my vitamin levels and found I am deficient in Vitamin D, magnesium, and iron. I will let you know how I feel. She said it can take two months to get the results. I'm glad you are feeling better.