June 18, 2012

Staycation and a Great Buy

Instead of taking a vacation, we are staying close to home this year and working on some projects. Honestly I just didn't want to go to the trouble of figuring where we would like to go, make reservations, do the drive thing and all that goes with it. Yes, many people would love to get away on a vacation but this year it just seemed like a hassle. I just wanted us to stay home and do some projects and relax. Also, I didn't want to spend the money. 

Today we did some work outside in 100 degree heat index. Funny thing is that since the wind was blowing hard, it was hot but didn't really seem to bother us.




We have money set aside in a home repair fund and we spent around $175 today on patio stones, gravel and such to repair the foundation around our shed. Our dogs love to dig under the shed and we had enough of it. So we spent some dough and we are half way through with this project. It makes the shed look like it has a little patio in the front of it. More pictures to follow. Let's just say that it makes everything in the yard look better. 

On the way home from Wal-mart we drove by a second hand store. I drive by this store all the time but have never stopped to look at what they had to sell. Today I stopped and bought these:




The yellow chair is a stool that has steps that you pull out to use as a step stool. The design is yellow cracked ice and it was made in 1956 per the stamp underneath the chair. The two dinette chairs have a gray cracked ice design. And...... the cost??? A total of $11 for the three of them. I have priced these brand new and the dinette chairs would cost $249 and the stool would cost around $50. There is minimal wear on the three of these.


Here is a link to the post I made about my kitchen inspiration pieces and you can see a picture of the dinette table. I feel like a kid on Christmas morning now as I am so thrilled with this purchase. I didn't think I would be able to find these items in such good shape and at a low price. It just goes to show you that there are bargains to be found out there and that it does pay to stop by some stores that you have never shopped before. I will definitely be going back to browse at this store for any other items I may need for our home.  
  

1 comment:

Maureen said...

I checked your link and can see now why you are so excited, something on your wish list so cheap.
I love second hand shops I always enter with such a feeling of optomism and have had many excellent buys over the years...