October 28, 2012

Hospice care for our Dog, Griffey

Our Labrador retriever, Griffey.
Our old dog, Griffey, has cancer and is dying. About 3 weeks ago I noticed that she hadn't been eating much and after a few days my husband took her to the Vet.  When the cancer diagnosis came, I wasn't surprised.  I could tell she hadn't been feeling well.  So now we are taking it a week at a time.  Griffey is taking some pain killers which helps her be "happier."  

We continue to take her on her morning and evening walk with our other dog, Molly.  We have been loving her a lot and until last week I even was able to take her on walks on the local rec trail through the woods.  I would love to take her more often but she has a lot of trouble getting in and out of our car.  


Walking the Rec trail, one last time.
Our goal is to make her final days great ones.  

After her walk tonight she stumbled and fell and had trouble getting up our back steps.  I am wondering if she will make it to Thanksgiving and I am also wondering if I will be able to be with her when she is put down.  I will find the courage to be with her as she deserves to die with her family loving her.

In the meantime she is on homemade dog food.  Here is the recipe the Vet gave me. 

3 cans green beans
3 cans yellow wax beans
3 cans stewed tomatoes
3 cans carrots
1 pound browned hamburger
1 pound cooked rice 
6 cooked potatoes, cubed

I keep "Griffey's stew" in the fridge and feed her around 2 to 3 cups in the morning and in the evening.  She devours this food.  The first week I gave it to her she gained 1 lb.  I looked at her tonight after helping her in the house and realized that she is looking boney and losing weight again.

So, until the time comes when we will have to put her down, Griffey will be getting her homemade stew, pain killers, play time, walk time and loving time.

Dogs do bring joy to our lives.  It is always sad when we have to say good bye to much loved pets, but I wouldn't trade the joy and memories that these pets bring us for anything. 

1 comment:

~Carla~ said...

Awww... I'm so sorry to hear this. :( I'll keep you in my prayers. ((hugs))