July 07, 2012

Been a Hot and Busy Week




Like most of the country, we have been experiencing quite a heat wave in Iowa. The daytime temperatures have been in the 90's and 100 degree Fahrenheit with a heat index today of 105 degrees Fahrenheit. I don't mind breaking records in a sporting event but not when it comes to the weather. Unless it is for the greatest weather ever - that would be a record I would like to see.

When it is this hot, you might as well know that your electric bill will be very high due to using air conditioning. There is just no way getting around not using air conditioning when it is this hot. It is just too dangerous not to use it. The only way to save money is to turn your thermostat up so that you are comfortable but not cold. I have been keeping the thermostat at 78 to 80 degrees mostly so that the air conditioner wouldn't run constantly. Our air conditioner is 20 years old and you never know when it will go. Hopefully we can get through this summer without any problems.

My week has been busy as I started my training at the public library. The first day of my training I felt like I had made a big mistake in taking the job. There are so many policies, procedures and general how to's to learn and I was overwhelmed. Then the second day came and I went home again feeling like I would never get it and I might have to give up. By the third day, I was starting to understand and then yesterday I was "getting it" more and more. In fact as I walked home yesterday I was so glad that I had answered the ad. 

The women that I work with are very nice. I am definitely on a team and what I like the most is that we are all there to serve the public which is something I enjoy.

Today I went to the library on my own time to just walk around and make sure I knew where things were located. As I sit and type this I know that I am going to understand the job more and more and that I am definitely glad that I answered that ad and was offered the opportunity to work at the library.

I will work a few Saturdays a month and will also cover as needed for vacations. It won't interrupt my schedule at home and the income I receive will pay off some bills and add money to savings. It is nice to have something to call my own again. Also I am an immense history buff and avid learner so working at a library is perfect for me. 

Since I took the library job I have encountered several women who are working a few part time jobs. For whatever reason they cannot find full time employment and have pieced together 2 or even 3 part time jobs together. I honestly don't know when these women have a day off or a break. It is something that I have encountered with college students also. 

I talked with one of these women and she looked tired, and I mean very tired. I don't know how she keeps her schedule straight, but as she said - these jobs pay her bills and that is what is most important. After talking with her I felt quite fortunate that even though I am working a small part time job, our life does not depend on it and I don't have to work several jobs to make ends meet.

Life is not easy for many people and I fear that with the extremely hot weather and drought like conditions that we may be in for higher food prices and perhaps lay offs from farm related industries. It's a perfect example of the trickle down effect. Practicing frugality with the addition of a part time job or temporary job will help families offset the rising prices and cost of living.

2 comments:

mamazee said...

Just wanted to tell you how much i am enjoying your blog tonight! I was on bedrest for three months while my husband worked full time and worked on his master's and now that our eighth child is born, i'm ready to get us back into some better, frugal habits again. I've found your posts so useful, practical, and most of all, kind and encouraging! I'm so glad you keep this blog!

Rose said...

Good luck with your new job!