October 07, 2014

A Healthy Peanut Butter Energy Bar Alternative

I make these and keep them in the fridge for my husband and I to use in place of an energy bar. When I am hungry right before I plan to work out to an exercise dvd or go for a long walk, I eat one of these.  They are very, very good.

Peanut Butter Bites

Ingredients:

1 cup oats, old fashioned or quick *
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1/2 cup ground or milled flaxseed
1/3 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Form into bite-sized balls and store in the refrigerator.

Optional Ingredients:  flaked coconut, nuts, chia seeds, pumpkins seeds, chocolate chips.

* I used Bob's Red Mill 5 grain Rolled Hot Cereal.  It contains whole grain wheat, rye, barley, oats, triticale and flaxseed.  I was out of steel cut oats, otherwise I would have used them.  I also added 1 tablespoon of chia seeds.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, sounds great! I am going to try these soon!

Anonymous said...

They sound perfect for our energetic family when we need that extra boost. I will try them tomorrow as seem very quick and easy.
Thankyou for sharing.
Ruth